Enrollment planning enables institutional leaders to estimate future enrollment demand, determine if the institution(s) can meet the estimated demand, and if so, the best way to accomodate the demand. The answer requires an evaluation of several elements, such as institutional missions, institutions' current physical capacity and potential ability to expand.
Enrollment planning is guided by the following principles:
- Use existing capacity to the fullest extent possible
- Promote economies of scale and stronger institutional financial capacity by setting a threshold number of students at most campuses
- Restrain enrollment growth at UNC Asheville and the UNC School of the Arts in recognition of their special missions
- Serve some of the projected enrollment growth through distance learning at off-campus sites and through e-learning
- Exploit available financial resources to provide additional physical capacity