The UNC Online Leadership Collaboration (OLC) is a group made up of distance education and online learning leaders across all institutions of the University of North Carolina System.
To share knowledge and collaborate on initiatives that serve online and distance learners.
To offer mutual support, share ideas and faculty development techniques, and provide continued education and advocacy for online learning offices in the UNC System.
- Communication: The effectiveness of the UNC OLC will stem from our ability to communicate in both writing and digital formats across our institutions and with personnel from the UNC System Office. Communication consists not only of disseminating pertinent information that can impact online and distance learners but resources to support and enhance the delivery of online programs at each institution.
- Collaboration: There is an adage that higher education institutions often operate in a silo. Relative to distance education, the UNC OLC will meet regularly to share resources, best practices, funding strategies, and institutional initiatives to empower each institution to fulfill its strategic goals. Collaboration can enhance operational efficiencies and fiscal responsibility across the seventeen constituent institutions of the UNC System.
- Advocacy: The academic rigor, convenience, and affordability of distance or online education in North Carolina are marketable characteristics. The technological and resource support to sustain online programming requires the engagement and support of system governance. The inclusion of diverse institutional contexts is necessary to advance system-level initiatives.
The UNC Online Leadership Collaboration is currently working on an action plan to address common online learning issues and needs across institutions in these five strategic areas:
- Faculty support
- Student success
- Organizational development
- Policy and accreditation
- Technology development and application
The UNC Online Leadership Collaboration meets monthly for 1 hour. In addition, the following activities and resources are part of the group:
- Action Plan: A working document with objectives, deliverables, dates, and action items to improve and advocate for online learning and distance education across institutions in the system.
- Subject Matter Expert Directory: A list of the areas of expertise for each member of the group.
- Professional Development Assessment: Working document with online learning and distance education professional development needs across institutions.
- Digital Repository: A platform for the exchange of documents, templates, and other resources related to online learning and distance education.
The Online Leadership Collaboration group was founded in 2021. The mission of this organization is to share knowledge and collaborate on initiatives that serve online and distance learners within the 17 UNC institutions. The UNC OLC group goals are to provide support by sharing ideas, faculty development techniques, continued education, and advocacy for online learning offices within the UNC system. Over the past 3 years, the Online Leadership Collaboration group has been actively working on action plans to address common online learning issues and needs across institutions in five strategic areas: faculty support, student success, organizational development, policy and accreditation, and technology development and application. The founding officers were, chair: Dr. Miko Nino (UNC Pembroke), Vice-Chair Dr. Tonya Amankwatia (N.C. A&T), Communications Officer: Dr. Wendy Creasey (ECU), and System Liaison, Dr. Ben Powell. The organization is currently under the leadership of chair, Dr. Jeremiah Shipp (WSSU), vice-chair Dr. Racheal Brooks (NCCU), and communications officers Dr’s. Claudette Fuller and Shunta’ Hailey Gregory (FSU).
Dr. Jeremiah E. Shipp, Winston-Salem State University
Dr. Racheal Brooks, North Carolina Central University
Dr. Claudette Fuller, Fayetteville State University
Dr. Shuntá Hailey Gregory, Fayetteville State University
|Appalachian State University||Emory Maiden||Interim Director of Academic Technologies||Maidenev3@appstate.edu||828-262-7978|
|Adryona Nelson||Director of Compliance and Program Operationsemail@example.com||828-262-7559|
|East Carolina University||Jennifer Baysden||Associate Director for Credit Programs (AOCDE)||firstname.lastname@example.org||252-328-9194|
|Dr. Bobbi Jo Carter||Executive Director for the Office of Online Learning, Academic Outreach, and Academic Innovationemail@example.com|
|Dr. Wendy Creasey||Director, Digital Learning & Emerging Technology Initiativesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Elizabeth City State University||Dr. Trina Gregory||University Program Specialistemail@example.com||252-335-3112|
|Fayetteville State University||Mr. Tristan Daniels||Online Navigatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Claudette Fuller, Communications Officer||Instructional Designer||Cfuller@uncfsu.edu|
|Dr. Shuntá Hailey Gregory, Communications Officer||Assistant Director of Faculty Development and Online Educationemail@example.com|
|Dr. Bonnie Grohe||Associate Professor & Director of Faculty Development and Online Educationfirstname.lastname@example.org||910-672-1193|
|Dr. Kizito Mukuni||Director of Online Educationemail@example.com|
|North Carolina A&T State University||Dr. Tonya Amankwatia||Assistant Vice Provost, Distance Ed and Extended Learningfirstname.lastname@example.org||336-285-2709|
|North Carolina Central University||Dr. Racheal Brooks, Vice Chair||Director, Office of e-Learning||Rmbrooks@nccu.edu||919-530-6677|
|Dr. Kimberly McGhee||Associate Vice Chancellor for Extended Studies and Student Supportemail@example.com||919-530-5069|
|Paulette Morrison-Danner||Director, Division of Extended Studies||Pscotton@nccu.edu||919-530-7442|
|NC State University||Helen Chen||Senior Vice Provost for Instructional Programsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Donna Petherbridge||Associate Vice Provost, Academic Technology Innovation (DELTA)||email@example.com||919-513-3737|
|Dr. Tim Petty||Associate Vice Provost, Online and Distance Education (DELTA)||firstname.lastname@example.org||919-515-2393|
|North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics||Joyce Ventimiglia||Educational Consultant/Project Manager||Ventimiglia@ncssm.edu||919-416-637|
|UNC Asheville||Dr. Angel Kaur||Assistant Professor of Neuroscience, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, UNC Asheville Center for Teaching and Learning Faculty Fellow, UNC System DLI DEOC Associate Faculty Fellowemail@example.com||828-232-5154|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Dr. Todd Nicolet||Vice Provost for Digital and Lifelong Learningfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Charlotte||Asher Haines||Associate Provost, School of Professional Studiesemail@example.com||704-687-8693|
|UNC Greensboro||Chris Dunst||Director, Instructional and Media Design, UTLCfirstname.lastname@example.org||336-315-7762|
|UNC Pembroke||Terry B. Locklear||Interim Director of Online Learningemail@example.com||910-775-4074|
|UNC Wilmington||Dr. Jeremy Dickerson||Assistant Provost, Office of Distance Education & eLearning||Dickersonj@uncw.edu||910-962-2368|
|Amy Ostrom||Director, Distance Education and E-Learningfirstname.lastname@example.org||910-962-3929|
|Western Carolina University||Dr. Eli-Collins Brown||Director of the Coulter Faculty Commonsemail@example.com||828-227-2093|
|Dr. Carolyn Callaghan||Executive Director of Educational Outreachfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Tony Miller||Associate Director, Distance Learningemail@example.com|
|Dr. Jonathan Wade||Senior Educational Technologist, Academic Engagement and IT Governancefirstname.lastname@example.org||828-227-3309|
|Winston-Salem State University||Dr. Jeremiah E. Shipp, Chair||Senior Faculty Development Specialist, Center for Innovative and Transformative Instruction||Shippje@wssu.edu||336-750-8719|
|Dr. Wanda White||Director of Teaching and Learning, Center for Innovative and Transformative Instructionemail@example.com|