FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CHAPEL HILL, NC – The University of North Carolina Board of Governors has selected 17 outstanding faculty members to receive the 2020 Awards for Excellence in Teaching. The recipients, who represent all 16 of North Carolina’s public universities and the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics, were nominated by special committees at each institution and selected by the Board of Governors Committee on Educational Planning, Policies, and Programs.
Established by the Board in 1993 to highlight the importance of teaching, the awards recognize the extraordinary contributions of faculty members System wide.
“It is with great pride that we honor these impressive recipients,” said UNC Board of Governors Chair Randy Ramsey. “Each of them brings a high standard of excellence in the classroom through creative teaching methods, making a real impact in how students learn.”
Each of the winners will receive a commemorative bronze medallion and a $12,500 cash prize. The award winners will be honored at each of their institutions at a future date.
“These awards provide us the opportunity to acknowledge outstanding work being done by some of the finest instructors our state has to offer,” said UNC System Interim President Bill Roper. “It represents the best of the UNC System and is another reminder of the high-quality education that our students receive.”
The 2020 recipients are:
- Dr. Jennifer Sterling Snodgrass, professor, School of Music, Appalachian State University
- Dr. William E. Allen, associate professor, Chemistry, East Carolina University
- Dr. Charles V. Reed, associate professor of history, Department of Social Sciences, Elizabeth City State University
- Dr. Peter M. Eley, professor, Health, Physical and Secondary Education, Fayetteville State University
- Dr. Jenora Turner Waterman, associate professor, Animal Sciences, North Carolina A&T State University
- Dr. Shauntae Brown White, associate professor, Department of Mass Communication, North Carolina Central University
- Dr. Jamie L. Lathan, instructor of humanities, Department of Humanities, North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics
- Dr. Hollylynne S. Lee, professor, Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Education, North Carolina State University
- Dr. Tiece M. Ruffin, associate professor, Africana Studies Program, University of North Carolina at Asheville
- Dr. Marcey Waters, Glenn H. Elder Jr. Distinguished Professor, Department of Chemistry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Dr. Jennifer B. Webb, associate professor, Psychological Science, University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- Dr. Carmen T. Sotomayor, professor, Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures, University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- Dr. Michele Fazio, associate professor, Department of English, Theatre and Foreign Languages, University of North Carolina at Pembroke
- Ms. Andi Steele, associate professor, Department of Art and Art History, University of North Carolina Wilmington
- Mr. Wade Wilson, professor, School of Design and Production, University of North Carolina School of the Arts
- Dr. Jennifer S. Schiff, associate professor, Department of Political Science and Public Affairs, Western Carolina University
- Mr. Scott J. Betz, professor of art, Department of Art and Visual Studies, Winston-Salem State University
View teaching philosophies and photos of all 17 award recipients.