The UNC System defines the traditional transfer student as one who has attended a non-community college post-secondary institution, is ‘under’ the age of 21, and has not earned a bachelor’s degree. Any student who has earned a bachelor’s degree and would like to earn a second bachelor’s degree is classified as a second degree student and not a transfer student.
If you have only taken courses at a community college, we encourage you to visit the NC Community College Transfer page, where you will find information more applicable to your unique circumstances.
Special Considerations for Traditional Transfer Students
- Many institutions have “pathways” to help facilitate the transition into a major. These plans differ from institution to institution. For this reason, transfer students should contact the transfer advisor and consult the registrar’s website at their chosen institution. These resources will provide detailed information about degree plans and transfer policies. Plan to do as much preparation for your major as possible prior to transfer.
- Campuses will complete a course-by-course evaluation of prior college courses to determine transfer credit at the time of admission. Students who start their studies at one institution knowing in advance they will finish their degree at a second institution will find it advantageous to research which courses will transfer. Careful planning will ensure that courses you take at one institution count toward your degree requirements as articulated by the institution where you complete your studies. Typically, this involves asking the following questions: Which courses will satisfy the general education requirements at the institution from which you intend to graduate? Which classes will satisfy the prerequisites for the upper-level coursework you will need to complete? Will any courses at the first institution count toward the degree requirements at the second institution?
- Courses at two different institutions sharing the same title will not necessarily count as a course equivalency.
- Transfer students do not have to come from within the UNC System, but course equivalencies will vary.
- Prior to starting the application process, second degree seeking students are advised to talk with a transfer counselor. In some cases, programs will not accept students who have already completed a bachelor’s degree. In other cases, some of the work completed toward the first degree might count toward the second degree, or it can satisfy prerequisites. Consulting with an advisor can help students determine whether the pursuit of a second degree (as opposed to a master’s degree or a learning certificate) is worth the effort.
How do I transfer to a UNC campus?
- Compare and contrast the 16 universities within the UNC System, focusing your attention on finding the institutions that offer the major you want to pursue. Contact the transfer counselor at the campus of your choice. We strongly encourage you to speak with a transfer counselor and/or attend a transfer event at your chosen campus.
- After choosing a university, review its admission requirements.
- Use the table below to find and contact the transfer counselor at the institution of your choice. We strongly encourage you to speak with a transfer counselor and/or attend a transfer event at your chosen institution.
- Fill out a free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and visit the financial aid office at the institution of your choice.
- Review course equivalencies at the institution of your choice.
|Appalachian State University||Jeni Wyatt||Sr. Director of Online & Transfer Servicesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Appalachian State University||Jayne Dowdy||Associate Director of Transfer & Military Recruitmentemail@example.com|
|Appalachian State University||Pressley Laton||Associate Director of Transfer Recruitmentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Appalachian State University||Beth Watts||Associate Director of Transfer & Online Advisingemail@example.com|
|Appalachian State University||Buffy Sisk||Associate Director, Online & Transfer Recruitmentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Appalachian State University||Karen Laws||Online & Transfer Recruitment Program Manageremail@example.com|
|Appalachian State University||Sam Shireman||Online & Transfer Recruitment Program Managerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|East Carolina University||Joshua Dail||Veterans Affairs Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|East Carolina University||Jeffrey Netznik||Associate Director for Military Outreachfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|East Carolina University||Millicent Thomas||Online Learning Support Advisoremail@example.com|
|East Carolina University||Erica Hoyt||Associate Director for Transfer Recruitmentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Elizabeth City State University||Andre Hill||Director of Transfer Servicesemail@example.com|
|Elizabeth City State University||Sherry Franks||Assistant Director of Transfer Servicesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Fayetteville State University||Jonathan Cobb||Assistant Director of Admission Transfersemail@example.com|
|Fayetteville State University||Darnette Hall||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Fayetteville State University||Brooke Vann||Admissions Counseloremail@example.com|
|Fayetteville State University||R. Donte’ Wise||Senior Assistant Director of Admission/Transfer Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|North Carolina A&T State University||Chanel Quick||Associate Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|North Carolina A&T State University||Kalen Delapp||Admissions Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|North Carolina Central University||Denettia Shaw||Director of Transfer Servicesemail@example.com|
|North Carolina Central University||Hepston H. Henry, II||Veterans Affairs Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|North Carolina Central University||Paul B. Phipps||Student Services Specialistemail@example.com|
|North Carolina State University||Taylor Holland||Associate Director of Admissions and Transfer Admissions Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Asheville||Lindsey Prather||Transfer Admissions Counseloremail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Hayes Boylston||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Olivia Miller||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Allee Olive||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Maria Lofton||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Madeline Snider||Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Brian Woodard||Assistant Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Alex Wadsworth||Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Carla Salas||Assistant Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Isaac Bell||Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Robert Noffsinger||Assistant Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|UNC Charlotte||Barbara Seyter||Senior Associate Director (Undergraduate Admissions)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Charlotte||Jami Dawkins||Assistant Director, Transfer Outreach (Undergraduate Admissions)||email@example.com|
|UNC Charlotte||Lauren Grimes||Transfer Admissions Counselor (Undergraduate Admissions)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Charlotte||Kaitlyn Kubacki||Transfer Admissions Counselor (Undergraduate Admissions)||email@example.com|
|UNC Greensboro||Melissa Garrison||Associate Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Pembroke||Amber Dial||Data Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|UNC Pembroke||Engle Revels||Associate Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Wilmington||Micah Jarrett||Transfer Admission Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|UNC Wilmington||Cassidy Bailey||Transfer Admission Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Wilmington||Jessica Horne||Assistant Director of Transfer Admissionemail@example.com|
|UNC Wilmington||Jo Hannah Fitzwater||Transfer Admission Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Wilmington||Erica Bowen||Transfer Admission Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|UNC Wilmington||Karla Blanton||Assistant Director of Transfer Admissionfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Wilmington||Emilee Farnes||Transfer Admission Coordinator (Onslow Campus)||email@example.com|
|UNC Wilmington||Nile McKibben||Transfer Admission Coordinator (Camp Lejune)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Western Carolina University||Heather Hill||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionemail@example.com|
|Western Carolina University||Emily Bingham||Transfer Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Western Carolina University||Hannah Scott||Transfer Counseloremail@example.com|
|Western Carolina University||Keri Clark||Transfer Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Winston-Salem State University||Marquita Graves||Associate Registraremail@example.com|
|Winston-Salem State University||Chenetta Mallette||Assistant Registrarfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Winston-Salem State University||Kerwin Graham||Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|