Regardless of whether a school district or identified GEAR UP target school has a large or small Latino population, it is critical and expected that district-based GEAR UP NC staff make a concerted effort to reach and engage Latino students and their families. As part of the GEAR UP NC State Office team, the Spanish Services Manager is available to provide guidance, information, and resources to students, their families, and educators in each school district and identified GEAR UP target schools that are tailored to meet the needs of the Latino population. This information, both verbal and written, can be provided in English or Spanish. The video below demonstrates the importance of engaging Latino students and their families in your district’s college access efforts.
Looking for information and ways to effectively engage with and provide educational programming to Latino/Hispanic audiences?
Additional Spanish Resources
- Paying for College - Scholarships Available/Pagando la Universidad-Becas Disponibles
- Scholarships for Students A-Z
- Latino Resource Guide hosted by Western Carolina University
- Article from www.edweek.org, "Raising Latino Achievement Seen as Demographic Imperative"
- Scholarship Resource List