If you have earned an associate degree or taken courses from an NC community college, many of the credits you earned may count toward a four-year degree from any UNC System university. Do you have plans to extend your higher education career? Make the most out of your community college studies. Careful planning will help you proceed toward the completion of a four-year degree with efficiency and minimal cost.

How do I transfer to the UNC System from a NC Community College?

  1. Review the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA), a statewide agreement governing the transfer of credits between NC community colleges and the UNC System. The transfer course list explains which NC community college courses will be eligible to count as credits at all 16 universities in the UNC System.
  2. Review the admission requirements at the individual institutions you are considering; each institution’s requirements will vary.
  3. Review partnerships between individual community colleges and UNC System institutions. In some cases, formal agreements have been established in order to facilitate transfer student success.
  4. Choose a baccalaureate degree plan using the links below. Finding and following an approved degree plan will help you plot your pathway toward graduation with efficiency. This will save you time and money. Mapping out a pathway in advance will help you focus on community college courses that will fulfill the prerequisites for the upper-level courses you’ll need at the university.
  5. Review transfer course equivalencies at the institution you are transferring to (links provided below). Even if you did not complete an associate degree, many of the courses you completed at the community college level will count toward your four-year degree.
  6. Fill out a free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and visit the Financial Aid office on the campus of your choice.
  7. If you have community college credit but didn’t complete an associate degree, the courses you take at a UNC System institution might also help you complete the requirements towards a two-year degree. Learn more about reverse transfer.

Keep in mind that these are general suggestions. We strongly encourage you to contact a transfer counselor and/or attend a transfer admission events at your chosen campus.

Special Considerations for NC Community College Transfer Students

The UNC System and the NC Community College System have worked together to encourage more students to transfer into the University after completing their studies at the community college level. To this same end, individual UNC System institutions have also established unique partnerships with nearby community colleges.

These agreements make it easier than ever before for students to transition from community college into the UNC System. Nevertheless, you will need to plan carefully as you make arrangements to transfer. As you begin to think about transfer options, keep in mind the following points:

  • Before transferring to a UNC System institution, some community college students finish an associate degree (AA, AS or AFA), while others may just take a few community college courses eligible to count as credit toward a four-year university degree. Completing an associate degree is highly recommended, but doing so is not required.
  • Completion of an associate degree does not guarantee admission to a UNC System institution. Each university has unique entrance requirements and standards, so students are advised to pursue multiple options as they transition from community college into the UNC System.
  • The UNC system grants students who earn certain associate degrees 60-61 credit hours and the status of “junior” upon acceptance at a constituent institution.
  • Many institutions have “pathways,” called baccalaureate degree plans. Pathways make the transfer process more efficient. These plans differ from institution to institution, but every plan identifies the community college classes a student could take to satisfy prerequisites for upper-level courses in common majors. The links provided at the bottom of this page direct users to information about the degree plans and transfer policies at each UNC System institution.

CAA Baccalaureate Degree Plans

The links below lead to each institution’s baccalaureate degree plans. These plans were developed to help students identify pathways that will lead them from associate degree completion, to admission into a major at a UNC System university, and finally to baccalaureate completion. 

Baccalaureate degree plans aren’t in place for all majors at every institution. For institutions that do not have established degree plans, the links below will lead to the registrar’s office, where students can find more information about how to transfer credit and how to contact the transfer advisor.

CAA Transfer Courses

Appendix G of the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement provides a list of approved courses that transfer from a N.C. Community College to a UNC Institution. The courses include: Universal General Education Transfer Courses (UGETC), General Education courses, and Pre-Major Electives. Note: Courses included on the Transfer Course List below may not be universally applicable to a particular major. The BDP for the major at the selected UNC institution should be consulted when advising potential transfer students to ensure the appropriate courses are completed. 

Transfer Equivalency Search by Institution

Each UNC System Institution provides information about transfer course equivalencies. Please note that the information is updated continuously and does not replace the formal transfer credit evaluation process. 

Transfer-Specific university Contacts

CampusGeneral Transfer Contact
Appalachian State Universitytransferadmissions@appstate.edu
East Carolina Universitytransfer@ecu.edu
Elizabeth City State Universitytransfer@ecsu.edu
Fayetteville State Universityadmissions@uncfsu.edu
North Carolina A&T State Universityuadmit@ncat.edu
North Carolina Central Universitytransfer@nccu.edu
NC State Universityundergrad-admissions@ncsu.edu
UNC Ashevilletransfer@unca.edu
UNC-Chapel Hilladmissions.unc.edu/contact/how-to-reach-us/
UNC Charlotteadmissions@charlotte.edu
UNC Greensboroadmissions.uncg.edu/find-counselor/ or admissions@uncg.edu
UNC Pembroketransfer@uncp.edu
UNC Wilmingtonuncw.edu/admissions/staff.html
Western Carolina Universityadmiss@wcu.edu
Winston-Salem State Universityhindsm@wssu.edu