If you have earned an associate degree or taken courses from an NC community college, many of the credits you earned may count toward a four-year degree from any UNC System university. Do you have plans to extend your higher education career? Make the most out of your community college studies. Careful planning will help you proceed toward the completion of a four-year degree with efficiency and minimal cost.
Special Considerations for NC Community College Transfer Students
The UNC System and the NC Community College System have worked together to encourage more students to transfer into the University after completing their studies at the community college level. To this same end, individual UNC System institutions have also established unique partnerships with nearby community colleges.
These agreements make it easier than ever before for students to transition from community college into the UNC System. Nevertheless, you will need to plan carefully as you make arrangements to transfer. As you begin to think about transfer options, keep in mind the following points:
- Before transferring to a UNC System institution, some community college students finish an associate degree (AA, AS or AFA), while others may just take a few community college courses eligible to count as credit toward a four-year university degree. Completing an associate degree is highly recommended, but doing so is not required.
- Completion of an associate degree does not guarantee admission to a UNC System institution. Each university has unique entrance requirements and standards, so students are advised to pursue multiple options as they transition from community college into the UNC System.
- The UNC System grants students who earn an associate degree 60-61 credit hours and the status of “junior” upon acceptance at a constituent institution.
- Many institutions have “pathways,” called baccalaureate degree plans. Pathways make the transfer process more efficient. These plans differ from institution to institution, but every plan identifies the community college classes a student could take to satisfy prerequisites for upper-level courses in common majors. The links provided at the bottom of this page direct users to information about the degree plans and transfer policies at each UNC System institution.
How do I transfer to the UNC System from a NC Community College?
- Review the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA), a statewide agreement governing the transfer of credits between NC community colleges and the UNC System. The transfer course list explains which NC community college courses will be eligible to count as credits at all 16 universities in the UNC System.
- Review the admission requirements at the individual institutions you are considering; each institution’s requirements will vary.
- Review partnerships between individual community colleges and UNC System institutions. In some cases, formal agreements have been established in order to facilitate transfer student success.
- Choose a baccalaureate degree plan using the links below. Finding and following an approved degree plan will help you plot your pathway toward graduation with efficiency. This will save you time and money. Mapping out a pathway in advance will help you focus on community college courses that will fulfill the prerequisites for the upper-level courses you’ll need at the university.
- Review transfer course equivalencies at the institution you are transferring to (links provided below). Even if you did not complete an associate degree, many of the courses you completed at the community college level will count toward your four-year degree.
- Fill out a free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and visit the Financial Aid office on the campus of your choice.
- If you have community college credit but didn’t complete an associate degree, the courses you take at a UNC System institution might also help you complete the requirements towards a two-year degree. Learn more about reverse transfer.
- If your NC Community College Advisor needs assistance, please have them access the Transfer Toolbox for additional resources.
Keep in mind that these are general suggestions. We strongly encourage you to contact a transfer counselor and/or attend a transfer admission events at your chosen campus.
CAA Baccalaureate Degree Plans
The links below lead to each institution’s baccalaureate degree plans. These plans were developed to help students identify pathways that will lead them from associate degree completion, to admission into a major at a UNC System university, and finally to baccalaureate completion.
Baccalaureate degree plans aren’t in place for all majors at every institution. For institutions that do not have established degree plans, the links below will lead to the registrar’s office, where students can find more information about how to transfer credit and how to contact the transfer advisor.
- Appalachian State University Transfer Degree Plans
- East Carolina University Transfer Degree Plans
- Elizabeth City State University Transfer Degree Plans
- Fayetteville State University Transfer Degree Plans
- North Carolina A&T State University Transfer Degree Plans
- North Carolina Central University Transfer Degree Plans
- North Carolina State University Transfer Degree Plans
- UNC Asheville Transfer Degree Plans
- UNC-Chapel Hill Transfer Degree Plans
- UNC Charlotte Transfer Degree Plans
- UNC Greensboro Transfer Degree Plans
- UNC Pembroke Transfer Degree Plans
- UNC Wilmington Transfer Degree Plans
- Western Carolina University Transfer Degree Plans
- Winston-Salem State University Transfer Degree Plan
- N.C. Engineering Pathways – AE to BSE UAA Information
CAA Transfer Courses
Appendix G of the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement provides a list of approved courses that transfer from a N.C. Community College to a UNC Institution. The courses include: Universal General Education Transfer Courses (UGETC), General Education courses, and Pre-Major Electives. Note: Courses included on the Transfer Course List below may not be universally applicable to a particular major. The BDP for the major at the selected UNC institution should be consulted when advising potential transfer students to ensure the appropriate courses are completed.
Transfer Equivalency Search by Institution
Each UNC System Institution provides information about transfer course equivalencies. Please note that the information is updated continuously and does not replace the formal transfer credit evaluation process.
- Appalachian State University Transfer Equivalency Search
- East Carolina University Transfer Course Equivalency Search
- Elizabeth City State University Transfer Course Equivalency
- Fayetteville State University Transfer Equivalency Guide
- North Carolina A & T State University Transfer Credit Chart for General Education
- North Carolina Central University Course Equivalency
- North Carolina State University Transfer Course Credit List
- UNC Asheville Transfer Equivalencies
- UNC-Chapel Hill Transfer Equivalencies
- UNC Charlotte Transfer Credit Advisor Tool
- UNC Greensboro Transfer Equivalency Search
- UNC Pembroke Transfer Equivalency Table
- UNC Wilmington Transfer Articulation Tables
- Western Carolina University Transfer Credit Chart
- Winston-Salem State University Transfer Equivalency Table
|Appalachian State University||Jeni Wyatt||Sr. Director of Online & Transfer Servicesemail@example.com|
|Appalachian State University||Jayne Dowdy||Associate Director of Transfer & Military Recruitmentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Appalachian State University||Pressley Laton||Associate Director of Transfer Recruitmentemail@example.com|
|Appalachian State University||Beth Watts||Associate Director of Transfer & Online Advisingfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Appalachian State University||Buffy Sisk||Associate Director, Online & Transfer Recruitmentemail@example.com|
|Appalachian State University||Karen Laws||Online & Transfer Recruitment Program Managerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Appalachian State University||Sam Shireman||Online & Transfer Recruitment Program Manageremail@example.com|
|East Carolina University||Joshua Dail||Veterans Affairs Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|East Carolina University||Jeffrey Netznik||Associate Director for Military Outreachemail@example.com|
|East Carolina University||Millicent Thomas||Online Learning Support Advisorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|East Carolina University||Erica Hoyt||Associate Director for Transfer Recruitmentemail@example.com|
|Elizabeth City State University||Harold Murrill||Admissions/Transfer Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Elizabeth City State University||Larry Wilson||Admissions / Transfer Counseloremail@example.com|
|Elizabeth City State University||LaTonya Lewis Jones||Admissions / Transfer Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Fayetteville State University||Jonathan Cobb||Assistant Director of Admission Transfersemail@example.com|
|Fayetteville State University||Darnette Hall||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Fayetteville State University||Brooke Vann||Admissions Counseloremail@example.com|
|Fayetteville State University||R. Donte’ Wise||Senior Assistant Director of Admission/Transfer Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|North Carolina A&T State University||Jameia A. Tennie||Interim Director of Undergraduate Admissionsemail@example.com|
|North Carolina A&T State University||Christopher Carico||Transfer Admissions Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|North Carolina A&T State University||Essence Largent||Transfer Admissions Counseloremail@example.com|
|North Carolina Central University||Denettia Shaw||Director of Transfer Servicesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|North Carolina Central University||Hepston H. Henry, II||Veterans Affairs Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|North Carolina Central University||Paul B. Phipps||Student Services Specialistfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|North Carolina State University||Taylor Holland||Associate Director of Admissions and Transfer Admissions Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|UNC Asheville||Lindsey Prather||Transfer Admissions Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Melody Levy||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Andrew Parrish||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||August Armbrister||Admissions Counseloremail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Hayes Boylston||Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Sloan Johnson||Admissions Counseloremail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Heather May||Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Olivia Miller||Assistant Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Allee Olive||Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Rebecca Egbert||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Maria Rodriguez||Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Ni-Eric Perkins||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Madeline Snider||Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Brian Woodard||Assistant Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Rickita Worrell||Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Patty Haydon||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|UNC Charlotte||Barbara Seyter||Senior Associate Director (Undergraduate Admissions)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Charlotte||Jami Dawkins||Assistant Director, Transfer Outreach (Undergraduate Admissions)||email@example.com|
|UNC Charlotte||Lauren Grimes||Transfer Admissions Counselor (Undergraduate Admissions)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Charlotte||Kaitlyn Kubacki||Transfer Admissions Counselor (Undergraduate Admissions)||email@example.com|
|UNC Greensboro||Clay Alexander||Associate Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Greensboro||Kelly Caudle||Associate Directoremail@example.com|
|UNC Greensboro||Nita Albrecht||Associate Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Greensboro||Josh Artrip||Senior Assistant Directoremail@example.com|
|UNC Greensboro||Andre’ Hill||Senior Assistant Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Greensboro||Lindsey Kennedy||Assistant Directoremail@example.com|
|UNC Greensboro||Sarah Griffin||Admissions Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Greensboro||Matthew McKay||Admissions Counseloremail@example.com|
|UNC Greensboro||Michael Clinton||Admissions Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Greensboro||Angie Moore||Student Services Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|UNC Greensboro||Kacy S. McAdoo||Senior Associate Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Pembroke||Amber Dial||Data Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|UNC Pembroke||Engle Revels||Associate Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Wilmington||Micah Jarrett||Transfer Admission Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|UNC Wilmington||Cassidy Bailey||Transfer Admission Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Wilmington||Jessica Horne||Assistant Director of Transfer Admissionemail@example.com|
|UNC Wilmington||Jo Hannah Fitzwater||Transfer Admission Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Wilmington||Erica Bowen||Transfer Admission Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|UNC Wilmington||Karla Blanton||Assistant Director of Transfer Admissionfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Wilmington||Emilee Farnes||Transfer Admission Coordinator (Onslow Campus)||email@example.com|
|UNC Wilmington||Nile McKibben||Transfer Admission Coordinator (Camp Lejune)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Western Carolina University||Heather Hill||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionemail@example.com|
|Western Carolina University||Emily Bingham||Transfer Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Western Carolina University||Hannah Scott||Transfer Counseloremail@example.com|
|Western Carolina University||Keri Clark||Transfer Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Winston-Salem State University||Marquita Graves||Associate Registraremail@example.com|
|Winston-Salem State University||Chenetta Mallette||Assistant Registrarfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Winston-Salem State University||Kerwin Graham||Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|