The UNC Board of Governors established the UNC System Racial Equity Task Force to examine the legacy of race and racism in North Carolina’s public higher education system, how that history shapes and impacts the experiences of our students faculty, staff and communities, and arrive at an actionable path forward that will build a culture of inclusion across our institutions.
THE CHARGE TO THE TASK FORCE
- Meet with groups of student, faculty, and staff to discuss issues of race and equity in the UNC System and all tangible steps that can be taken across the UNC System in pursuit of equity and understanding.
- Gather, explore, and develop recommendations, suggestions, and feedback.
- Prepare a report to the Board of Governors, including a list of recommendations and action steps in priority order
- Present the report to the Chair of the Board of Governors and the UNC System President by October 2, 2020.
As leaders in the University community, it is our obligation and responsibility to do the hard work needed to address inequities in the UNC System for the benefit of students, faculty, staff, and all North Carolinians.
Chair of the UNC Board of Governors, Randy Ramsey
BUILDING A CULTURE OF INCLUSION
The Racial Equity Task Force’s recommendations will help build a culture of inclusion and ensure a safe educational and working environment that provides all System constituencies with a sense of belonging. To reach this goal, the System must examine existing inequities, understand how these inequities negatively affect many of our students and employees, and prioritize equity in the pursuit of the goals outlined in our Strategic Plan. By fostering equity in our policies, programs, and practices, the UNC System will enhance economic and social mobility for all North Carolinians, particularly for those who have historically been underserved and underrepresented in our classrooms and across our institutions.
I encourage us to be open to solutions that demonstrate the virtues of peace, justice, unity, and understanding among all people. This is the only way that we, as a System, can truly make recommendations that have the potential to transform lives.
~ Darrell Allison, Chair
LISTENING AND LEARNING FROM YOUR EXPERIENCES
To effectively accomplish our goals, the Task Force’s work will include the following components:
- Analyzing existing System, institutional, and national data to develop a baseline understanding of racial disparities and equity issues;
- Conducting an online survey to understand the perspectives of students, faculty, and staff;
- Hosting conversations or town halls with students, faculty, and staff to discuss issues of race and equity at their respective institutions, and in the communities in which they live and serve; and
- Preparing a report to the Chair of the Board of Governors and the UNC System President, to include a prioritized list of recommendations, action steps, and performance measures.
Task Force members will engage in discussions and listening sessions across the UNC System with students, faculty, and staff around three focus areas:
- Equity in the student academic experience. We’ll examine how to close equity gaps in every stage of the student experience, from recruitment through graduation.
- Equity-minded faculty, staff, and administrators. We’ll take a deep dive into human resources practices in the recruitment, hiring, and retention of employees System-wide.
- Safe and inclusive campuses and communities. Building a better world that’s equitable for all, starts on our campuses. We’ll work with students, faculty, and staff to foster and maintain safe and supportive campuses that promote diversity, inclusion, and a sense of belonging.
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU
We’ve developed a strategic approach to campus engagement and will offer many opportunities for you to share your ideas and input with the task force. We plan to conduct surveys, host virtual meetings and listening sessions, and find focus groups that can help us reach our goals. Visit us often and stay tuned for more information.
Have an idea or suggestion that can’t wait? Email the Task Force at RacialEquity@northcarolina.edu at any time.
Stay tuned! Upcoming virtual meetings and opportunities to engage with the task force will be listed here. Can’t wait? Send your ideas and suggestions to us at RacialEquity@northcarolina.edu.
MEDIA, MENTIONS, & MORE
UNC Board of Governors Racial Equity Task Force begins its work
NC Policy Watch – Joe Killian
UNC holds racial equity meeting to discuss student recruitment, enrollment
ABC11.com – Morgan Norwood
Racial Equity Task Force Meets, July 9
UNC System, northcarolina.edu
RACIAL EQUITY TASK FORCE MEMBERS
Darrell Allison, UNC Board of Governors, Task Force Chair
Kellie Hunt Blue, UNC Board of Governors, Task Force Vice Chair
Pearl Burris-Floyd, UNC Board of Governors, Member
Isaiah Green, UNC Board of Governors & President of the Association of Student Governments
Reginald Ronald Holley, UNC Board of Governors, Member
Anna Spangler Nelson, UNC Board of Governors, Task Force Vice Chair
Dawn Brown, Access Coordinator, UNC Wilmington & Former Chair of Staff Assembly
Garikai (Kai) Campbell, Provost, UNC Asheville
David Green, Professor of Law, NC Central University & Former UNC System Faculty Assembly Chair
Timothy Ives, Professor of Pharmacy, UNC-Chapel Hill, Faculty Assembly Chair
Garrett Killian, Business and Technology Applications Specialist, East Carolina University & UNC System Staff Assembly Chair
Ricardo Nazario-Colon, Chief Diversity Officer, Western Carolina University
David Perry, Chief of Police, UNC-Chapel Hill