The UNC Board of Governors established the UNC System Racial Equity Task Force to examine the legacy of race and racism in North Carolina’s public higher education system, how that history shapes and impacts the experiences of our students, faculty, staff and communities, and arrive at an actionable path forward that will build a culture of inclusion across our institutions.
we’re listening: VIRTUAL TOWN HALLs begin on Oct. 19
The UNC System Racial Equity Task Force launches its series of Virtual Town Halls, Oct. 19 through Oct. 29. The Task Force will host seven virtual listening sessions to hear about race and equity from students, faculty, and staff. We’ll be actively listening and using your feedback to inform our recommendations to the Board of Governors and UNC System Office. These town halls will provide a space for you to share input, with opportunities to do so anonymously as well. We look forward to hearing from you on tangible steps that can be shared across the UNC System in pursuit of equity and understanding.
NEED HELP? RESOURCES Available aT YOUR Institution
- Appalachian State University
- East Carolina University
- Elizabeth City State University
- Fayetteville State University
- North Carolina A&T State University
- North Carolina Central University
- North Carolina State University
- UNC Asheville
- UNC-Chapel Hill
- UNC Charlotte
- UNC Greensboro
- UNC Pembroke
- UNC School of the Arts
- UNC Wilmington
- Western Carolina University
- Winston Salem State University
- North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics
To register for a Virtual Town Hall, check your email for a link! If you do not receive a registration link, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: You must have a current UNC System institution email (.edu) to participate.
October 20: Student Town Hall at 10 a.m.
October 27: Student Town Hall, at 10 a.m.
October 29: Student Town Hall, at 6 p.m.
October 19: Faculty Town Hall at 6 p.m.
October 26: Faculty Town Hall at 6 p.m.
October 23: Staff Town Hall at 2 p.m.
October 28: Staff Town Hall at 2 p.m.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
Virtual Town Halls, October 19-29: We will host a series of listening sessions with students, faculty, and staff. These sessions will be designed to engage you on topics related to racial equity and provide an opportunity for you to share your experiences.
Racial Equity Task Force Workshop, November 10: The Task Force will meet to hear key findings from the system-wide survey and feedback from the virtual town halls. Members will discuss and prioritize draft recommendations. More details to come.
Racial Equity Task Force Survey, September 15-30: This survey has ended. The survey was designed to gain a better understanding of race and equity across the System.
THE CHARGE TO THE TASK FORCE
- Meet with groups of students, faculty, and staff to discuss issues of race and equity in the UNC System and all tangible steps that can be taken across the UNC System in pursuit of equity and understanding.
- Gather, explore, and develop recommendations, suggestions, and feedback.
- Prepare a report to the Board of Governors, including a list of recommendations and action steps in priority order
- Present the report to the Chair of the Board of Governors and the UNC System President by December 16, 2020*.
*On August 25, the UNC Board of Governors Chair Randy Ramsey and UNC System President Peter Hans approved a request to extend the final report date to December 16, 2020. This new timeline will afford the task force the opportunity to continue to gather and examine critical data and conduct a more thorough process of engaging with students, faculty, staff, and administrators.
As leaders in the University community, it is our obligation and responsibility to do the hard work needed to address inequities in the UNC System for the benefit of students, faculty, staff, and all North Carolinians.Randy Ramsey, Chair of the UNC Board of Governors
BUILDING A CULTURE OF INCLUSION
The Racial Equity Task Force recommendations will help to build a culture of inclusion and ensure a safe educational and working environment that provides all System constituencies with a sense of belonging. To reach this goal, the System must examine existing inequities, understand how these inequities negatively affect many of our students and employees, and prioritize equity in the pursuit of the goals outlined in the UNC System’s Strategic Plan. By fostering equity in our policies, programs, and practices, the UNC System will enhance economic and social mobility for all North Carolinians, particularly for those who have historically been underserved and underrepresented in the classroom and across our institutions.
LEARNING FROM YOUR EXPERIENCES
To effectively accomplish our goals, the Task Force’s work includes the following components:
- Analyzing existing System, institutional, and national data to develop a baseline understanding of racial disparities and equity issues;
- Conducting an online survey to understand the perspectives of students, faculty, and staff;
- Hosting conversations or town halls with students, faculty, and staff to discuss issues of race and equity at their respective institutions, and in the communities in which they live and serve; and
- Preparing a report to the Chair of the Board of Governors and the UNC System President, to include a prioritized list of recommendations, action steps, and performance measures.
FOCUS AREAS: WE’RE ZOOMED IN
Task Force members will engage in discussions and listening sessions across the UNC System with students, faculty, and staff around three focus areas:
- Equity in the student academic experience. We’ll examine how to close equity gaps at every stage of the student experience, from recruitment through graduation.
- Equity-minded faculty, staff, and administrators. We’ll take a deep dive into human resources practices in the recruitment, hiring, and retention of employees.
- Safe and inclusive campuses and communities. Building a better world that’s equitable for all, starts on our campuses. We’ll work with students, faculty, and staff to foster and maintain safe and supportive campuses that promote equity, diversity, inclusion, and a sense of belonging.
Have a suggestion? We’ve created a Share Your Ideas form for you to send us your thoughts, concerns, and valuable input. The form can be used anonymously and will be shared with the task force members for review and consideration. You can also take advantage of our task force email at RacialEquity@northcarolina.edu.
MEDIA, MENTIONS, & MORE
UNC System Racial Equity Task Force survey brings reflection to ECU The East Carolinian
UNC Board of Governors Racial Equity Task Force begins its work
NC Policy Watch – Joe Killian
UNC holds racial equity meeting to discuss student recruitment, enrollment
ABC11.com – Morgan Norwood
Racial Equity Task Force Meets, July 9
UNC System News
MEET THE RACIAL EQUITY TASK FORCE MEMBERS
- Reginald Ronald Holley, UNC Board of Governors, Task Force Chair
- Kellie Hunt Blue, UNC Board of Governors, Task Force Vice Chair
- Anna Spangler Nelson, UNC Board of Governors, Task Force Vice Chair
- Pearl Burris-Floyd, UNC Board of Governors, Member
- Isaiah Green, UNC Board of Governors & President of the Association of Student Governments
- Dawn Brown, Access Coordinator, UNC Wilmington & Former Chair of Staff Assembly
- Garikai (Kai) Campbell, Provost, UNC Asheville
- David Green, Professor of Law, NC Central University & Former UNC System Faculty Assembly Chair
- Timothy Ives, Professor of Pharmacy, UNC-Chapel Hill, Faculty Assembly Chair
- Garrett Killian, Business and Technology Applications Specialist, East Carolina University & UNC System Staff Assembly Chair
- Ricardo Nazario-Colon, Chief Diversity Officer, Western Carolina University
- David Perry, Chief of Police, UNC-Chapel Hill