Welcome to the UNC System Racial Equity Task Force. The UNC Board of Governors established the task force to examine the legacy of race and racism in North Carolina’s public higher education system, how that history shapes and impacts the experiences of our students, faculty, staff, and communities, and arrive at an actionable path forward that will build a culture of inclusion across our institutions.
Task force discusses Engagement Findings and draft recommendations
The Racial Equity Task Force met today to hear key findings from the system-wide survey and feedback from the virtual town halls. Task Force members also discussed draft recommendations and will move to the next stage of prioritizing and identifying action steps. To view today’s presentations, click here:
“Today is a step forward in our commitment to supporting racial equity across our System and an opportunity to ensure everyone has the resources they need to be successful at our institutions.”
Task Force Chair Reginald Ronald Holley
the virtual town hall experience
Thank you for attending the UNC System Racial Equity Task Force Virtual Town Halls, held Oct. 19-29. The seven sessions included discussions on race and equity from more than 3,000 students, faculty, and staff from our 17 institutions. Task force members actively listened during each session and will use the feedback from our contributors and attendees to inform its recommendations to the Board of Governors and UNC System Office.
The last Virtual Town Hall listening session, held on October 29, included a combined discussion with students, faculty, and staff.
RESOURCES Available aT YOUR Institution
campus engagement efforts
The Virtual Town Hall sessions were a part of an overall engagement strategy to hear from our university community members and will help the task force gain a better understanding of race and equity within the System.
Sessions that occurred included:
October 20: Student Town Hall at 10 a.m.
October 27: Student Town Hall, at 10 a.m.
October 19: Faculty Town Hall at 6 p.m.
October 26: Faculty Town Hall at 6 p.m.
October 23: Staff Town Hall at 2 p.m.
October 28: Staff Town Hall at 2 p.m.
Racial Equity Virtual Town Halls, October 19-29: A host of listening sessions with students, faculty, and staff. These sessions were designed to engage you on topics related to racial equity and provide an opportunity for you to share your experiences.
Racial Equity Systemwide Survey, September 15-30: The UNC System conducted a survey that gathered the opinions and experiences on race and equity from students, faculty, and staff from across the 17 institutions.
THE CHARGE TO THE TASK FORCE
- Meet with groups of students, faculty, and staff to discuss issues of race and equity in the UNC System and all tangible steps that can be taken across the UNC System in pursuit of equity and understanding.
- Gather, explore, and develop recommendations, suggestions, and feedback.
- Prepare a report to the Board of Governors, including a list of recommendations and action steps in priority order
- Present the report to the Chair of the Board of Governors and the UNC System President by December 16, 2020*.
*On August 25, the UNC Board of Governors Chair Randy Ramsey and UNC System President Peter Hans approved a request to extend the final report date to December 16, 2020. This new timeline will afford the task force the opportunity to continue to gather and examine critical data and conduct a more thorough process of engaging with students, faculty, staff, and administrators.
As leaders in the University community, it is our obligation and responsibility to do the hard work needed to address inequities in the UNC System for the benefit of students, faculty, staff, and all North Carolinians.Randy Ramsey, Chair of the UNC Board of Governors
BUILDING A CULTURE OF INCLUSION
The Racial Equity Task Force recommendations will help to build a culture of inclusion and ensure a safe educational and working environment that provides all System constituencies with a sense of belonging. To reach this goal, the System must examine existing inequities, understand how these inequities negatively affect many of our students and employees, and prioritize equity in the pursuit of the goals outlined in the UNC System’s Strategic Plan. By fostering equity in our policies, programs, and practices, the UNC System will enhance economic and social mobility for all North Carolinians, particularly for those who have historically been underserved and underrepresented in the classroom and across our institutions.
LEARNING FROM YOUR EXPERIENCES
To effectively accomplish our goals, the Task Force’s work includes the following components:
- Analyzing existing System, institutional, and national data to develop a baseline understanding of racial disparities and equity issues;
- Conducting an online survey to understand the perspectives of students, faculty, and staff;
- Hosting conversations or town halls with students, faculty, and staff to discuss issues of race and equity at their respective institutions, and in the communities in which they live and serve; and
- Preparing a report to the Chair of the Board of Governors and the UNC System President, to include a prioritized list of recommendations, action steps, and performance measures.
WE’RE ZOOMED IN
Task Force members will engage in discussions and listening sessions across the UNC System with students, faculty, and staff around three focus areas:
- Equity in the student academic experience. We’ll examine how to close equity gaps at every stage of the student experience, from recruitment through graduation.
- Equity-minded faculty, staff, and administrators. We’ll take a deep dive into human resources practices in the recruitment, hiring, and retention of employees.
- Safe and inclusive campuses and communities. Building a better world that’s equitable for all, starts on our campuses. We’ll work with students, faculty, and staff to foster and maintain safe and supportive campuses that promote equity, diversity, inclusion, and a sense of belonging.
Have a suggestion? We’ve created a Share Your Ideas form for you to send us your thoughts, concerns, and valuable input. The form can be used anonymously and will be shared with the task force members for review and consideration. You can also take advantage of our task force email at RacialEquity@northcarolina.edu.
MEDIA, MENTIONS, & MORE
UNC System Racial Equity Task Force Hosts Key Findings Meeting
The UNCW Seahawk
UNC Racial Equity Task Force to meet November 10
UNC System News
UNC System Host Town Halls Discussing Race and Equity
The UNCW Seahawk
UNC System Hosts Series of Town Halls for Feedback on Race and Equity
The Daily Tar Heel
UNC System Racial Equity Task Force survey brings reflection to ECU
The East Carolinian
UNC Board of Governors Racial Equity Task Force begins its work
NC Policy Watch – Joe Killian
UNC holds racial equity meeting to discuss student recruitment, enrollment
ABC11.com – Morgan Norwood
Racial Equity Task Force Meets, July 9
UNC System News
For media inquiries, contact the Racial Equity Task Force email at RacialEquity@northcarolina.edu.
MEET THE RACIAL EQUITY TASK FORCE MEMBERS
- Reginald Ronald Holley, UNC Board of Governors, Task Force Chair
- Kellie Hunt Blue, UNC Board of Governors, Task Force Vice Chair
- Anna Spangler Nelson, UNC Board of Governors, Task Force Vice Chair
- Pearl Burris-Floyd, UNC Board of Governors, Member
- Isaiah Green, UNC Board of Governors & President of the Association of Student Governments
- Dawn Brown, Access Coordinator, UNC Wilmington & Former Chair of Staff Assembly
- Garikai (Kai) Campbell, Provost, UNC Asheville
- David Green, Professor of Law, NC Central University & Former UNC System Faculty Assembly Chair
- Timothy Ives, Professor of Pharmacy, UNC-Chapel Hill, Faculty Assembly Chair
- Garrett Killian, Business and Technology Applications Specialist, East Carolina University & UNC System Staff Assembly Chair
- Ricardo Nazario-Colon, Chief Diversity Officer, Western Carolina University
- David Perry, Chief of Police, UNC-Chapel Hill