FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Eighteen-member committee will vet candidates for top job at the state’s coastal university
University of North Carolina System President Peter Hans and University of North Carolina Wilmington Board of Trustees Chair Gidget Kidd today announced the formation of an 18-member chancellor search committee.
“UNC Wilmington’s all-around excellence will attract a strong pool of potential chancellors,” Hans said. “This search committee is passionate about public higher education, and I am grateful to each member for serving the campus and its community.”
“I deeply appreciate the committee members’ commitment to this important effort,” said Kidd, who will chair the committee. “We know that the UNCW community cares deeply about our university and its future leadership. We are invested in collaborating with the UNC System during this process, and we look forward to engaging with students, alumni, faculty, staff and other Seahawks to hear their insights and understand their perspectives.”
The search committee has tentatively scheduled its first meeting on Nov. 1.
The committee will identify high-quality candidates and make recommendations to the full Board of Trustees at UNCW. The board will then vote on candidates to send to Hans for consideration.
Hans will then nominate a finalist to the UNC Board of Governors, which will elect the new chancellor in 2022.
The next leader will succeed Chancellor Jose Sartarelli, who recently announced he will retire June 30, 2022 after seven years at the helm of UNCW.
The UNCW Chancellor Search Committee:
- Gidget Kidd ’91, educational and community leader from Asheboro, chair of the Board of Trustees and the search committee
- Stephania Bloodworth ’00, business operations manager from Wilmington
- Dennis Burgard ’88, former trustee and real estate leader from Jacksonville
- Adam Clark ’11, Staff Senate chair and Information Technology Services technician
- Natalie English, president and CEO, Wilmington Chamber of Commerce
- Robert “Robby” Fensom, Student Government Association president and a senior from Fayetteville
- H. Carlton Fisher ’83, trustee board secretary and real estate leader from Wilmington
- Holly G. Grange, trustee and community and government leader from Wilmington
- Nathan Grove, Faculty Senate president, chemistry and biochemistry professor, College of Arts and Sciences
- Morgan Jackson ’96, a public affairs professional from Raleigh, UNCW Foundation Board member
- Henry L. “Hal” Kitchin Jr., attorney from Wilmington and former trustee and board chair
- Henry E. “Hank” Miller III ’85, trustee board vice chair and real estate leader from Wrightsville Beach
- Justine Reel, associate dean for research and innovation, College of Health and Human Services
- Yousry Sayed, trustee and business leader from Wilmington
- Peter Schuhmann, economics professor, Cameron School of Business
- Maurice Smith ’79, former trustee and credit union president from Cary
- Robert Smith, professor of instructional technology, foundations, and secondary education, Watson College of Education
- Jimmy T. Tate ’99, ’01 MA ‘19 MA, trustee and educational community leader, southeastern North Carolina
The University of North Carolina Wilmington is dedicated to learning through the integration of teaching and mentoring with research and service. A public institution with more than 18,000 students, the university is focused on supporting and enhancing the student-centered learning experience that has been a hallmark since its founding in 1947.