UNC System Coronavirus Resource Center
The UNC System and its constituent institutions are working closely with local, state, and federal health authorities to monitor developments, coordinate and share information, and provide guidance regarding COVID-19. Concern for the health and safety of our students, faculty, staff, and University partners is foremost in mind. We’ve created this site to provide easy access to information about COVID-19, our response, and available resources.
Status update from the week of April 27, 2020:
- Governor Roy Cooper issued Executive Order 135, which extends the existing statewide stay-at-home order through May 8, 2020. Specifically, the order mandates people stay at home with limited exceptions, bans gatherings of more than 10 people and directs social distancing of at least six feet.
- The UNC System likewise extended the System’s April COVID-19 Special Work/Leave Provisions (issued March 26, 2020) through May 8 with an addendum.
- During a special meeting of the UNC Board of Governors, held on March 30, 2020, Interim President Bill Roper announced that the UNC System is committed to prorated reimbursements of payments for unused housing and dining services as a result of the UNC System’s rapid response to COVID-19.
- UNC System institutions have transitioned from in-person teaching to alternative, online instruction, wherever possible.
- All institutions are restricted from hosting gatherings of 10 or more people.
- Commencement exercises have been postponed for all 17 institutions for the health and safety of our students, parents, and the community.
- We have set up a list of student emergency aid funds that will directly benefit students in need and help keep them in a position to continue their education. The list of funds can be found at https://www.northcarolina.edu/StudentAid.
We understand this is a stressful time for many in our community, and we are taking the necessary steps to help reduce the spread of the virus. We appreciate our entire UNC System community’s participation in helping us reduce the spread. Please check back here for regular updates and closely follow guidance from health professionals and individual institution leaders.
From our president
Below are recent video messages from UNC System Interim President Bill Roper, a physician and former head of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), to the community, faculty and students on the UNC System status and actions to limit the spread of COVID-19:
March 23, 2020 -- UNC System Interim President Bill Roper has released a third video updating the System’s continuing response to the coronavirus.
March 18, 2020 -- View Bill Roper, interim president of the UNC System and former director of the CDC, discuss the coronavirus outbreak's impact locally and nationally on WRAL.
UNC System Updates
Below are the official UNC System updates we have provided on the situation.
April 29, 2020
Chapel Hill, NC – UNC System Interim President Bill Roper has issued the following statement regarding the plans for the Fall 2020 semester:
"Recent data in North Carolina are showing positive trends that suggest our collective efforts to minimize the spread of COVID-19 are paying off.
Our institutions have done a remarkable job serving their students during this time of crisis. Our speedy adaptation to remote teaching and learning was a necessary and invaluable step to preserve the continuity of our students’ academic pursuits while protecting health and safety. But for many in the UNC System, digital learning technologies simply cannot be a long-term substitute for the facilities and community that our campuses provide. The majority of our faculty and students need access to our libraries, labs, classrooms, and medical and agriculture facilities to fully engage with their research, teaching, learning, and service work..."
- UNC System institutions have transitioned from in-person teaching to alternative, online instruction, whenever possible.
- For events, we ask that our institutions refer to the CDC’s guidance on appropriate gathering sizes and social distancing protocols. All institutions are restricted from hosting gatherings of 50 or more people, unless prior written authorization is given by the Chancellor or the Provost.
- Commencement exercises have been postponed for all 17 campuses for the health and safety of our students, parents and the community.
- We have set up a list of student emergency aid funds that will directly benefit students and keep them in a position to continue their education. The list of funds can be found here: https://www.northcarolina.edu/StudentAid.
UNC System institutions are thriving and supportive communities, ready to adapt quickly as circumstances evolve. We remain focused on the health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff, and the delivery of our core academic mission.
To find the latest information and updates on COVID-19, visit the UNC System COVID-19 Resource Center or your institution’s webpage regularly.
UNC System Press Releases Regarding COVID-19:
March 17, 2020 -- UNC System Updates Guidance to Constituent Institutions
March 11, 2020 -- UNC System Issues Update on Coronavirus Preparations
Deep concern for the health and safety of UNC System students, faculty, and staff members is foremost in mind. On this page, you can find additional links to information and resources from each of our institutions regarding coronavirus: