FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 21, 2020
CHAPEL HILL, NC – University of North Carolina System Interim President Bill Roper and Fayetteville State University Board of Trustees Chair Stuart Augustine have announced the formation of a 17-member search committee tasked with locating candidates for the position of chancellor at Fayetteville State University.
“These highly respected individuals were chosen for the search committee due to their knowledge, commitment and passion for Fayetteville State University,” Dr. Roper said. “I am grateful to each of them for agreeing to serve, and I am confident that this committee will identify the right candidate for this very important position. This search will be an open and thorough process, with input from the many individuals and groups associated with this proud university.”
The committee will work to make recommendations to the full Fayetteville State University Board of Trustees, which will vote three candidates to recommend to Dr. Roper. Dr. Roper will then recommend a finalist to the UNC System Board of Governors, which will elect the new chancellor. The process is expected to take six to nine months to complete.
FSU Board of Trustees Chair Stuart Augustine will chair the search committee.
“We are pleased to be moving forward in our efforts to identify the next Chancellor for Fayetteville State University,” Augustine said. “For this search committee, we have selected trustees, administrators, faculty, staff, alumni, students, and community leaders, all of whom will provide valuable insight into who the next Chancellor of this great University will be. I am confident that their work will yield an outstanding leader and scholar who will continue the work of making FSU a premiere institution in this city, state, region, and nation.”
On July 12, 2019, Dr. Roper named Dr. Peggy Valentine to serve as interim chancellor. Prior to her appointment, Dr. Valentine served as dean of the School of Health Sciences at Winston-Salem State University. The previous chancellor of Fayetteville State University, Dr. James A. Anderson, served in the position from June 9, 2008 until June 13, 2019.
The Fayetteville State University Chancellor Search Committee will consist of:
• Mr. Stuart Augustine, chair, FSU Board of Trustees (Search Committee Chair)
• Ms. Suzetta Perkins, administrator, FSU Chancellor Search Committee
• Mrs. Val Applewhite, member, FSU Board of Trustees
• Mr. Brandon Phillips, member FSU Board of Trustees
• Mr. Jonathan Charleston, member, FSU Board of Trustees
• Miss Kiante Bennett, president, FSU SGA
• Miss Kalisha Graves, FSU graduate student
• Mr. Richard Kingsberry, FSU alumnus
• City of Fayetteville Mayor Mitch Colvin, community representative
• Dr. Roxie Wells, representative from the medical community
• Col. Donald Porter, representative from the military community
• Mr. Chet Dilday, faculty member, FSU
• Dr. Afua Ahrin, faculty member, FSU
• Mrs. Nicole Lucas, faculty member, FSU
• Mrs. Patricia Flanigan, FSU staff representative
• Mr. Mike King, FSU athletics department representative
• Mrs. Alice Stephenson, member, FSU Foundation Board