CHAPEL HILL – University of North Carolina System President Margaret Spellings and UNC-TV Board of Trustees Chair Eric Teal have announced the formation of an 18-member search committee tasked with locating a candidate for the position of executive director and general manager of UNC-TV.
“This committee is composed of a group of highly respected state and national leaders in public education, the arts, business, and media,” said President Spellings. “I am thankful to those who have agreed to help locate the right candidate for this very important role.”
Steve D. Hammel is currently serving as interim executive director and general manager, which he assumed on October 22, 2018 to fill in the permanent role vacated by Brian Sickora.
The UNC-TV Executive Director/General Manager position is responsible for the overall vision, leadership, strategic direction, and success of UNC-TV, which transmits four full-time digital program channels to all 100 counties in North Carolina. The person in the role oversees a budget of approximately $30 million and over 200 permanent, temporary, and contract employees statewide. They would also work to ensure that the station remains in compliance with any rules and/or regulations that govern public broadcasting entities.
The search process will commence on November 27 and is expected to take several months.
“UNC-TV is an important asset to our state with a deep and talented staff,” said Chair Teal. “This will be an important leadership decision that our Committee is excited to take part in. We are delighted with the makeup and talents of this group, and we confidently anticipate a thorough and straightforward search.”
The UNC-TV Executive Director/General Manager Search Committee will consist of:
- Mr. Eric Teal, Chair of UNC-TV Board of Trustees (Committee Chair)
- Mr. Don Baer, Chair, Board of Directors of PBS
- Mr. Lindsay Bierman, Chancellor of UNC School of the Arts
- Ms. Anita Brown-Graham, UNC School of Government
- Ms. Charlotte Burnett, UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School STAR Program
- Mr. Don Curtis, Former UNC-TV Board of Trustees
- Ms. Gwen Davis, Chair UNC-TV Foundation Board
- Ms. Meredith Beaton Didier, UNC System Office
- Mr. Joe Ely, UNC-TV Board of Trustees
- Mr. Jim Goodmon, Capital Broadcasting Company
- Ms. Susan King, UNC Chapel School of Media and Journalism
- Ms. Megan Lebda, UNC-TV Board of Trustees
- Dr. Assad Meymandi, Former UNC-TV Board of Trustees
- Dr. Charles Sanders, UNC Foundation Board and Former UNC-TV Board of Trustees
- Dr. Kimberly van Noort, UNC System Office
- Ms. Shannon Vickery, UNC-TV
- Ms. Caroline Welch, UNC-TV Board of Trustees
- Mr. Larry Wheeler, Former Director of the North Carolina Museum of Art