Non-Traditional Transfer

A non-traditional transfer student has attended a non-community college post-secondary institution(s), is 'over' the age of 21, and has not earned a bachelor’s degree. Students who have earned a bachelor’s degree and would like to earn a second Bachelor’s degree are classified as a second degree student and not a transfer student.

Special Considerations for Non-Traditional Transfer Students

  • Many campuses in the UNC system have pathways designed to help transfer students chose the right classes.

To transfer to a UNC campus as a Non-Traditional Student:

  1. After choosing a campus, review the individual campus admission requirements.
  2. Contact the transfer counselor at the campus of your choice.
  3. Choose a degree and field of study at one of UNC's 16 public institutions using the table below.
  4. Fill out a free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and visit the Financial Aid office on the campus of your choice.
  5. Review course equivalencies at the campus of your choice.