The UNC Policy Manual
1. The Board of Governors has delegated the responsibility for intercollegiate athletics to the chancellors under The Code’s Delegation of Duty and Authority. That delegation is subject to the requirements and mandates in this policy.
2. The chancellors shall ensure that all athletes admitted to the institution are capable of progressive academic success and graduation within six years.
3. The chancellors shall ensure that the policies for admission of student athletes are reviewed by appropriate members or bodies of the faculty and that any recommendations or advice from those members or bodies are received and considered.
4. The chancellors shall ensure that exceptions or waivers for the admission of student athletes are reviewed by appropriate members or bodies of the faculty and that any recommendation concerning these applicants are received and considered by the chancellors in a timely manner.
5. The chancellors shall ensure that student athletes follow a coherent course of study that is designed to accomplish reasonable progress toward a baccalaureate degree.
6. Chancellors shall ensure that the tutorial and remedial programs for student athletes will be administered by appropriate academic offices in cooperation with athletic department officials.
7. The chancellors shall ensure that athletes who are not making satisfactory academic progress are not allowed to continue as team players.
8. The chancellors shall ensure that a mandatory drug-testing program for student athletes is implemented and monitored.
9. The chancellors shall ensure that formal awareness programs on the dangers of gambling in athletics is implemented.
10. The chancellors shall ensure that the institutions conform with NCAA standards.
11. The chancellors shall ensure that all foundations, clubs, and associations established primarily to raise money on behalf of constituent institutions are audited annually and that those audits are reviewed by the institutional Boards of Trustees and are forwarded to the President.
12. The chancellors shall ensure that the position of director of athletics is separate and distinct from the position of a coach of any sport.
13. The chancellors shall submit an annual report to the Board of Trustees of the constituent institutions with a copy to the President, who will report to the Board of Governors. The annual report shall be designed according to criteria and format defined by the Office of the President and shall include the following elements:
a. organization and philosophy of athletics programs;
b. the admission policy for student athletes including the definitions utilized for exceptions to campus-based criteria;
c. student-athlete exceptions to the minimum course requirements set by the Board of Governors and defined in Policy 700.1.1 and Regulation 700.1.1.1[R];
d. the student-athlete profiles for admitted student athletes including SAT/ACT scores, high school grade point averages and NCAA classifications;
e. information about the majors or programs of study chosen by student athletes;
f. academic progression information for student athletes and six-year graduation rates; and
g. information about “booster” club organizations and procedures.
14. The chancellors shall report to the Board of Trustees the student-athlete exceptions to the institution’s undergraduate admissions criteria.
15. The chancellors shall ensure that the annual report is forwarded to appropriate members or bodies of the faculty and that any response from such members or bodies is received and considered by the chancellors.
[This policy consolidates policies 1100.1 and 1100.2]