The UNC Policy Manual
Policy on the University of North Carolina Association of Student Governments
1. The Board of Governors of the University of North Carolina finds that, in order to further the education of students of the University of North Carolina, and in order to improve the governance of the University, it is necessary and appropriate for there to be a student government association that represents the interests of the students of all of the constituent institutions of the University. The Board of Governors, therefore, recognizes the University of North Carolina Association of Student Governments (“UNCASG”) as the student government organization designated to represent the interests of students in the deliberations of the University of North Carolina Board of Governors.
2. In order to further the education of the students of UNC in self governance and civic responsibility, and in order to assure that the interests of students are known to the Board of Governors during its deliberations, the Board of Governors recognizes the following purposes of the UNCASG:
a. Represent the students of the university before the University of North Carolina Board of Governors.
b. Develop and maintain open lines of communication between institutions, promote each student’s right to a quality education, and promote the issues deemed beneficial to students.
c. Actively promote affordable, quality higher education within the State of North Carolina.
d. Act as a liaison between the students and the Governor of the State of North Carolina, the North Carolina General Assembly, the Office of the President of the University of North Carolina, and other state and federal officials.
e. Address and act on the collective interests of students enrolled in member institutions.
f. Involve students in the political process by educating students on the issues affecting them and the university.
g. Actively involve students in the area of governmental relations so as to promote the passage or defeat of legislation, which the Association deems relevant to the education of students, their institutions, and higher education in North Carolina.
h. Promote and maintain conditions conducive to academic freedom.
i. Promote unity and cooperative efforts between the sixteen public institutions of The University of North Carolina.
j. Provide services and benefits to members of the Association.
3. All delegates to and officers of the UNCASG shall be selected in the manner set out in its Constitution. All amendments to the Constitution, By-Laws, Financial Policy, or Personnel Policy of the UNCASG shall be approved by the President of the University of North Carolina, or the President’s designee, before they are implemented.
4. Neither the Board of Governors nor the President shall assert control over the substantive positions of the UNCASG, and the UNCASG shall not claim that its views are the views of the University of North Carolina, the Board of Governors, or the President of the University without prior approval.
5. Any mandatory student fee that is approved by the Board of Governors for use by the UNCASG shall be used by the UNCASG for expenditures germane to the purposes set out in this policy and in accordance with procedures approved by the Vice President of Finance of the University of North Carolina.
6. The Board of Directors of the UNCASG shall be responsible for the selection of employees of the UNCASG, and for the termination of their employment, in accordance with the personnel Policy of the UNCASG. The Administrator will report to the Board of Directors. All other employees will report to the Administrator.
7. The UNCASG shall be administered by the officers and directors of the UNCASG. Any employees of the UNCASG shall be clerical in nature. The Association shall not employ an executive director or other person with substantive, policy, or lobbying duties.