The UNC Policy Manual
Guidance for Fourth Year Comprehensive Performance
Review of the Chancellor
1. The chair of the Board of Trustees appoints an assessment committee comprised of selected trustees or the full board.
2. The chair of the Board of Governors designates a representative of the Board of Governors to serve as a full participant in the chancellor performance assessment process.
3. The chair of the Board of Trustees serves as the chair of the assessment committee unless he or she chooses another trustee to serve as chair in his or her place.
4. The assessment committee with the advice and consent of the President and in communication with the chancellor selects an outside consultant to guide the process.
5. The chancellor provides a self-assessment of goals and accomplishments to the Board of Trustees and the President.
6. The assessment committee sends out survey/evaluation forms to a random sampling of current and former members (especially chairs) from the Board of Trustees, faculty, staff, community/alumni representatives, and students to be returned as specified to either the consultant or to the chair of the assessment committee.
7. The consultant schedules a number of interviews with members of the faculty, the administration, and the Board of Trustees to supplement the survey results.
8. The consultant prepares a comprehensive report and shares it with the chancellor and the chair of the Board of Trustees to review for factual accuracy.
9. The consultant shares the report, after review by the chancellor and the chair of the Board of Trustees, with the assessment committee for further adaptations or modifications.
10. The chair of the Board of Trustees then presents the report to the full Board of Trustees in closed session at the next meeting.
11. The chair of the Board of Trustees provides copies of the comprehensive report and the final analysis of the Survey Questionnaire to the President.
12. The chair of the Board of Trustees, the chancellor, the consultant, and the Board of Governors representative meet with the President to review the report and its findings.
13. The President and the Board of Governors representative present the assessment report to the full Board of Governors in closed session.