Research and Evaluation Resources
For more information, go to the GEAR UP NC Implementation Guide - Research and Evaluation and see below for resources listed in the Implementation Guide's GEAR UP NC Resources.
Service Protocol for Data Entry (Exhibit 5.1)
Sample District Highlights (Exhibit 5.2)
For a complete listing of GEAR UP NC's project objectives and performance measures, please click here.
New Resource! GEAR UP NC Summer Student and Family Services Toolkit, a helpful tool that explains how to enter summer-related student and family services into the database.
GEAR UP NC Database (live site)
GEAR UP NC Database Training Manual 12.13.12 a comprehensive manual with step by step screen shots for how to enter services, add/edit students, run reports, and more!
GEAR UP NC student and Family-Family Event Service Type, a tool to help identify when to use the family event service type for both student and family services.
Spring 2013 College Application Data - 75% of GEAR UP NC seniors have applied to at least one college by the end of February! Let's continue to increase these numbers!
North Carolina College Knowledge Inventory (NCCKI), a validated diagnostic and summative non-congnitive survey to gauge high school students' knowledge of college information. Stay tuned for a family and middle school version of the NCCKI, available during the 2013-14 academic year.
GEAR UP NC 2013 Senior Survey
GEAR UP NC Student Survey & GEAR UP NC Family Survey - Year 01 Sample
· Student and family surveys are administered each year, as a part of GEAR UP’s annual evaluation of program objectives and data collection for the Annual Performance Report
· Surveys need to be completed by no later than January 31st
· All surveys will be filled out online and each GEAR UP Student Coordinator and GEAR UP Family & Community Facilitator will receive an email from the GEAR UP Research & Evaluation team with the link to each Student & Family Surveys
· For more information, see the GEAR UP NC Student & Family Survey Protocol & Tips Sheet
· Districts will receive a survey overview report from GEAR UP NC at the February Quarterly Meeting
APR Data Needed from Districts (Due February 25th)
Click here to read a message from the GEAR UP Research & Evaluation Team. Good News - GEAR UP NC no longer needs to collect Pre-Algebra Data from districts.
College Application Data Toolkit
· College Application Data are collected each year to capture information about the number of current seniors who have applied to a college and where they have applied.
· College Application Data need to be entered into the GEAR UP NC Database by GEAR UP Student Coordinators, in collaboration with GEAR UP Family & Community Facilitators, no later than February 25th
· For more information, see our College Application Toolkit
GEAR UP NC Outpaces the State: GEAR UP North Carolina outpaced the state in increasing high school graduation rates at target high schools between 2005 and 2012 with a 12.1 percentage point increase for GEAR UP North Carolina target schools, compared to a 11.5 percentage point increase for all public high schools in North Carolina. Most notable is that GEAR UP North Carolina works with qualifying schools that are considered low-income, where the average free-and-reduced lunch rate for target GEAR UP North Carolina high schools is 56.6%, compared to the state average of 45.2%. GEAR UP North Carolina serves the entire cohort of students and their families in qualifying low-income schools by providing early awareness of college information and academic readiness services with the goal of increasing the number of students who enroll and succeed in postsecondary education. To achieve this goal, GEAR UP North Carolina strives to increase the high school graduation rate, among several other objectives. Click here for a PDF.
Institute of Education Sciences (IES) Practice Guides
National Student Clearinghouse
Constortium on Chicago School Research (CCSR)