||Revise election procedures
That the following changes (additions,
deletions) be made to Section VII of the Assembly Bylaws:
- It shall be incumbent upon each institution to designate and certify its Assembly members and alternates for the coming academic year on or before May 1.
- Election of the officers
and the committee chairs for the following year shall take place at the first spring meeting of the Assembly. They shall be elected by secret ballot in the following manner:
- The order of election of officers shall be Chair, Vice-Chair, and Secretary.
, and the chairs of the standing committees.
- Each candidate shall be asked to rise to be identified. Each candidate shall have the option to speak for not more than one minute prior to the balloting.
- Election shall be by a majority vote of those members present and voting.
- If an additional ballot is required, the number of votes cast for each candidate shall be announced prior to succeeding ballots.
- Election of committee chairs shall take place at the committee meeting of the first spring meeting of the Assembly. Committee chairs shall be elected by secret ballot of the committee members.
- Committee chair candidates shall declare by self-nomination.
- If there are no nominees for chair of a committee, that vacancy shall be announced to the Assembly, and a general election shall be conducted at the second spring meeting using the procedures outlined in Article VIIB of the Bylaws.
Motion adopted 4/03.