||Endorsement of 2007-2009 BOG Budget Priorities
Whereas, the proposed budget priorities of The University of North Carolina for the 2007-09 biennium have been carefully articulated and prioritized by the General Administration under the leadership of President Bowles after consultation with the constituent campuses, and approved by the Board of Governors, and
Whereas, the proposed budget priorities address the most pressing financial needs for the University, including
- funding of need-based financial aid to make sure every eligible North Carolina undergraduate student who applies for a state need-based grant actually receives one;
- funding for academic salary increases to allow the University to recruit and retain the very best faculty;
- funding for a research competitiveness fund and for graduate student recruitment and retention to allow the state to compete nationally and globally;
- funding to produce more and better K-12 teachers and to respond to critical health-care needs;
- funding for student success through improved graduation and retention rates;
- funding for needed academic facilities and the repair, maintenance, and upgrading of existing campus infrastructure; and
- legislative changes to generate cost savings and cost avoidance as recommended by the President’s Committee on Efficiency and Effectiveness that will be used to advance teaching, research, and public service,
Therefore, be it resolved that the Faculty Assembly offers its most enthusiastic endorsement for the proposed 2007-09 Budget Priorities as submitted by the Board of Governors.
Unanimously adopted by the UNC Faculty Assembly, January 2007.