||Revise timetable for electing Assembly officers
||Richard Veit, UNCW, and Jeff Passe, UNCC
Be it resolved:
That Sections VII, VIII, and X of the Bylaws be revised as indicated below to provide newly elected Assembly officers and committee chairs with a transition period to their duties via an earlier election date than currently mandated in the Bylaws, and to improve elections procedures; and that the changes go into effect beginning with the 2002-03 academic year.
Proposed changes to the Bylaws re elections
- It shall be incumbent upon each institution to designate and certify its Assembly members and alternates for the coming academic year on or before May 1.
- Election of officers and the committee chairs for the following year shall take place at the last first spring meeting of the Assembly.
- They shall be elected by secret ballot in the following manner:
- The order of election of officers shall be Chair, Vice-Chair, and Secretary, and the chairs of the standing committees.
- Each candidate shall be asked to rise to be identified. Each candidate shall have the option to speak for not more than one minute prior to the balloting.
- 2. Election shall be by a majority vote of those members present and voting.
- 3. If an additional ballot is required, the number of votes cast for each candidate shall be announced prior to succeeding ballots.
- The term of office shall coincide with that specified in II, E for members of the Assembly.
- An election to fill a vacancy in any office or on the Executive Committee can take place at any regular or special meeting of the Assembly.
VIII. Executive Committee
- There shall be an Executive Committee consisting of the three officers of the Assembly, any officers-elect who are not currently members of the Executive Committee, one officer from the staff of the University (who shall be appointed by the President of the University and who shall be a non-voting member of the Committee), and the chairs and chairs-elect of standing committees.
X. Committees (other than Agenda and Executive Committee)
- Nominations Committee. At its
second first regular meeting of the year, the Faculty Assembly shall elect a nominations committee, which shall be composed of five members nominated and elected by the full membership of the Assembly. The Chair of the nominations committee will be elected by the committee. At least ten days prior to the meeting at which an election is to be held, this committee shall circulate, by written or electronic means, a slate of at least two nominees for each office of the Assembly and at least two nominees for chair of each of the standing committees These nominees will be presented to the full membership of the Assembly at the meeting of the Assembly, at which time additional nominations may be made from the floor. All nominees must have agreed to their nomination prior to election by the Assembly. The committee shall solicit from each nominee a statement of qualifications, not to exceed 300 words, and shall circulate these to the delegates, by written or electronic means, at least ten days prior to the election. The nominees will be presented to the full membership of the Assembly at the meeting specified for their election, at which time additional nominations may be made from the floor.