The University is committed to the state’s environmental health through sustainability, and the efficient use of energy. Sustainability is a core value supported by the Board of Governors’ and has led the board to develop a Sustainability Policy for the University
Third-Party Financed Renewable Energy Projects
Several UNC campuses have expressed interest in third-party financed renewable energy projects, such as installing solar thermal panels that help provide hot water to residence halls. The opportunity for renewable energy tax credits provide incentive for investors and may also benefit individual campuses.
Representatives from the State Energy Office, UNC-General Administration, the UNC School of Government and NC State University continue to work to develop and document a process to support campuses in pursuit of renewable energy opportunities.
Energy and Sustainability Resources
UNC Policy Manual - Chapter 600
The Board of Governors has adopted Environmental Policies reflective of UNC's commitment to environmental stewardship.
Additional Sites of Interest
- American College & University Presidents' Climate Commitment (ACUPCC)
- Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE)
- Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency (DSIRE)
- National Association of Board Certified Energy Professionals
- NC Green Power Program
- NC Solar Center
- NC State Energy Office
- NC Sustainable Energy Association
- PV Watts - online photovoltaic calculator
- Sustainability Tracking and Reporting System (STARS)
- US Dept of Energy
- US Green Building Council